Employment Opportunity GENERAL MANAGER
Location: Windsor, Nova Scotia
Application Deadline June 23, 2017
Expected Start Date September 5, 2017
About MERMAID THEATRE of NOVA SCOTIA
Mermaid Theatre ranks amongst North America’s most respected theatres for the young and plays an important ambassadorial role for Nova Scotia and Canada. Mermaid Theatre has received Excellence Awards by both Nova Scotia (2001) and the Government of Canada (2001, 2005); the Nova Scotia Tourism Industry Crystal Tourism Ambassador Award in 2008, the Atlantic Presenters Association’s first annual award for excellence in artist management in 2009. The company’s touring circuit is unparalleled in North America.
In its 45th season, Mermaid Theatre’s energetic professional touring theatre for family audiences has won international claim for original productions with a strong emphasis on puppetry and the incorporation of original music. Best known for its puppetry-based adaptations of children’s literary classics, the company ranks among North America’s most respected family entertainment organizations, offering more than two hundred and fifty performances annually throughout Canada and the US as well as the Asia Pacific. It has performed for more than five million spectators on four continents, and offers productions in seven languages. Mermaid also has a strong local and regional presence as the result of teaching and presenting activities. These include the Mermaid Theatre Loft’s Artists’ Residencies; the Mermaid Imperial Performing Arts Centre (MIPAC) Entertainment series, and the Institute of Puppetry Arts’ innovative instructional programs which includes activities at home and abroad.
Mermaid Theatre’s touring productions at home and abroad serve as a continuous showcase for the Atlantic Region’s performing artists, writers, directors, designers and technicians. The company ranks among Atlantic Canada’s foremost cultural employers, and is currently Canada’s major exporter of theatre for family audiences.
Mermaid Theatre is governed by a small but dedicated Board of Directors and operates with an annual budget of $1.5 Million. The company enjoys the support of federal and provincial funding agencies but is largely self-funded.
Mermaid Theatre is seeking a dynamic, vibrant Arts Management Professional as General Manager. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the General Manager is the lead administrative executive responsible for supporting the Theatre’s artistic mandate. The successful candidate will also oversee The Mermaid Imperial Performing Arts Centre and the Institute of Puppetry Arts and will be charged with ensuring the efficient administration and management
of Mermaid Theater’s human, financial, administration and artistic resources. The General Manager will play an integral role in working with the Board of Directors as it redefines its preferred governance model. The General Manager will also be instrumental in shaping the strategic direction and plans as it determines the best way forward for Mermaid Theatre, the Mermaid Imperial Performing Arts Centre and the Institute of Puppetry Arts.
Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the General Manager is responsible for supporting the strategic and artistic mission, mandate, and direction of Mermaid Theatre, MIPAC and the Institute of Puppetry Arts by ensuring the sound administration and management of the company’s human, financial, and administrative resources.
- Leadership, Visioning and Strategic Management: In conjunction with the Board of Directors directs all strategic planning and related work for Mermaid Theatre, MIPAC and the Institute of Puppetry Arts.
- Board Governance and Relationships and Reporting: Facilitates Board development and ensures the policies, procedures and processes for effective and efficient timely reporting are in place.
- Stakeholder and Management Relations: leads and manages all relationship building with internal and external stakeholders including government and funding agencies, unions, theatre associations, agents, community and volunteers.
- Human Resource management and Labour Relations: leads the development and administration of all policies, procedures and processes as applicable to the employee life cycle. Creates and maintains a safe and harmonious working culture.
- Financial Management and Reporting: oversees and supports all financial policies, procedures and processes, budget planning and expenditure reporting to ensure sound, effective and efficient financial operations for Mermaid Theatre, MIPAC and the Institute of Puppetry Arts.
- Programs and Operations Management: Oversees, provides direction to and ensures all administration and operations relating to the home base and touring programs are carried out in in a timely and effective manner. Builds and maintains a business continuity strategy. Serves as the point person for touring operations, contracts, administration and personnel while tours are on the road.
- Revenue Generation: Ensures fundraising priorities are established and executed in a manner that supports short and long term revenue generation goals. Is responsible for grant writing and reporting.
- Capacity Building: Builds and implements a strategy that increases the visibility, viability and capacity of Mermaid’s programs and resources. Develops a reach into the local community. Serves as a champion for developing programs that partner with educational institutions to build an appreciation with and capacity for youth and the Arts.
- Communication and Media Relations: Responsible to lead and oversee all external communications and media relations as a primary face (along with the Artistic Director) of Mermaid Theatre.
The Ideal Candidate
In addition to having the requisite skills….. the successful applicant is a visionary… an “anything is possible” thinker. Is emotionally competent, comfortable in their “own skin” and is respectful. Can work with the creative energy absolutely necessary to Mermaid’s success. Brings business acumen with a strong appreciation for the uniqueness of this Art form. Finds the right balance between supporting the Board of Directors, leading operations and administration, and championing the environment that nurtures all of the strength, creativity, innovation, subject matter expertise and discipline each and every individual brings to Mermaid. Is a strategic thinker and positions the organization for the future. Understands what it is to be responsible and accountable to all internal and external key stakeholders and partners. Has a growth mindset and can deliver without compromising the look, feel and spirit of what currently exists. Is a mature autonomous professional!
- A demonstrated passion for the arts, theatre, and education of young people
- Bachelor’s Degree as a Minimum
- Proven leadership capacity at a senior executive / management level in the not for profit sector – 4 years minimum
- Experience in strategic and operational planning
- Experience translating vision into institutional strategies and specific operating plans
- Experience in Board Relations either as a Board Member or experience working with volunteer boards
- Experience reporting to a Board of Directors preferred
- Excellent financial management skills, and financial reporting
- Experience with public and / or private sector fundraising preferred
- Experience with grants management and administration
- Strong Proposal writing skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Technologically versatile and experience with social networking
- Experience with media relations and marketing
- Experience with the ability to effectively build and maintain collegial relationships with creative and administrative teams as well as corporate, creative sector, community and volunteers
Interested in applying?
If you are seeking an opportunity where you can rest your heart while working in a creative and fast paced environment AND make a significant contribution to the future of an incredibly successful and internationally celebrated art form then we would love to hear from you.
You are invited to submit your cover letter and resume in CONFIDENCE to firstname.lastname@example.org
In your cover letter, please speak to your knowledge of, and interest in, working with Mermaid Theatre. Clearly demonstrate your relevant experience in relationship to the requirements of this position. And, finally, please state your salary expectations.
Further information about Mermaid Theatre please visit our website: http://mermaidtheatre.caDate/Time: June 23, 2017 - All Day
Location: Mermaid Imperial Performing Arts Centre